Weaknesses of the Singapore Education System
h***@gmail.com
2013-12-04 15:18:47 UTC
Singapore students may have scored brilliantly in PICA but there are clear and obvious weaknesses in the Singapore Education System.
These are:

1. Graduates from the Singapore Education System are very poor in communication skills especially oral and conversational skills. This has been very clear from interviews, be it for jobs or scholarship. Perfect academic results but cannot even clearly answer simple questions or conduct a decent conversation.

2. They also lack the Skills for living. Perfect academic result but cannot even cook an instant noodle, fold a blanket. This is the reality. The focus on academic results have led to many Singapore Students losing their ordinary living skills. They have forgotten how to be a normal human being. They are more like robots.

3. They lack social skills. Many just don't know how to handle themselves in a social gathering or setting. They lack the social graces, simple human decency like politeness. They lack humane values.
TheInquirer
2013-12-04 17:13:47 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
Singapore students may have scored brilliantly in PICA
you mean "pecah"?

Post by h***@gmail.com
1. Graduates from the Singapore Education System are very poor in communication skills especially oral and conversational skills. This has been very clear from interviews, be it for jobs or scholarship. Perfect academic results but cannot even clearly answer simple questions or conduct a decent conversation.
what about skills in asking questions?
--
Just answer the damn question, not the questioner! Don't
presume. My personal matters/beliefs are none of your
people to answer? thanks.
Zanzibar
Totally agreed. I agree with your views. There should be ministry to look into the matter.
TheInquirer
2013-12-04 17:30:27 UTC
Post by Zanzibar
Totally agreed. I agree with your views. There should be ministry to look into the matter.
*gasp*! what if the maids lose their jobs? who is going to do their
homework for them?
people to answer? thanks.
auwe digidauw
2013-12-04 19:20:46 UTC
Post by Zanzibar
Totally agreed. I agree with your views. There should be ministry to look into the matter.
I second that.

I encountered several singaporean fresh graduate colleagues,

and yes they somewhat performed ackwardly when socializing with

others
auwe digidauw
2013-12-04 19:24:18 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
2. They also lack the Skills for living. Perfect academic result but
cannot even cook an instant noodle, fold a blanket. This is the
reality. The focus on academic results have led to many Singapore
Students losing their ordinary living skills. They have forgotten how
to be a normal human being. They are more like robots.
singaporeans are spoiled brats

with such luxury life style they still complain and whine 24/7

just look at this newsgroup

no wonder even cooking instant noodle is a big troublesome to them
baldeagle
2013-12-06 09:15:31 UTC
Post by h***@gmail.com
[...]
-----

You don't know what you are talking about. You talk bad about our brainy students...because you are JEALOUS...because you have a pin head of a brain. (Your post proved beyond a doubt that you don't have a smart brain)

Yes. The students who originally attended Chinese schools are not fluent in English....awkward when speaking English. However, they can speak very fluently in Mandarin. As long as they can communicate with others adequately, either in English or Chinese, what's the big deal! In NUS, in NTU and in A*Star, Mandarin is spoken more commonly than English.
Students educated in English school are good English speaker ...and as shown in TV debates...they are as good as any native English speaker.

Native English speakers who can talk as well as a car salesmen are shown to be NOT as well educated as Singaporeans.

What is the need to cook instant noodle and fold a blanket when we have maids to do the job for us !!! What is the need for Singaporeans to be a garbage man or a construction worker when we can use our time better ... be a brain surgeon or a banker.
auwe digidauw
2013-12-06 10:28:02 UTC
Post by baldeagle
What is the need to cook instant noodle and fold a blanket when we
have maids to do the job for us !!!
fine !! but dont complain and whine the next time another flock

of mediocre indians take offer all your banking jobs

dont expect to get the prize

if you are not ready to pay the price
baldeagle
2013-12-06 11:24:11 UTC
Post by auwe digidauw
Post by baldeagle
What is the need to cook instant noodle and fold a blanket when we
have maids to do the job for us !!!
fine !! but dont complain and whine the next time another flock
of mediocre indians take offer all your banking jobs
Getting maids to do domestic chores and low lever labourers to do dirty jobs us ...are good policies... Singaporean are then free to enjoy good life.

Giving good paying banking jobs to Indians (poorly qualified) when there are much better qualified Singaporeans... is BAD policies...very very bad.

Besides, these Indians pollute our place...with their body odour (stale curry smelling sweat)everywhere they go...with their mannerism and bad culture (they bring with them the caste system type of behaviours)...they make our parks, our gardens, our children playground overcrowded...they make our Bus overcrowded... they make our apartment more expensive...they do not serve in our armed forces...it is like a army of beggars and untouchables from India has invaded our nice HDB heartland.

When something is seriously WRONG...we have the right to voice our feeling, our anger.
h***@gmail.com
Of course our Singapore Students are much better than an underage fucker like u from the KL slums.
Pelandok
2013-12-06 18:01:29 UTC
They do form a significant amount of votes in the 2016 elections and will be the swing factor either way in the 2016 elections.

Being educated sufficiently in Chemistry, and not enough in money, they should know enough to avoid Newater. They also do not have the emotional baggage of the CLOB issue and other previous spats.

A reduction in seats for the PAP may happen due to this section of the population if their concerns are not met enough, and this would require a reduction in foreign talent influx so as to protect their 'market'.

baldeagle

You are right...Many Singapore students are world beater...they performed much better than the best from USA, Europe, Malaysia and other part of the world in international competition. There is no shame to say that they are better than me... who failed kindergarten.
TheInquirer
2013-12-06 20:35:02 UTC
Post by Pelandok
They do form a significant amount of votes in the 2016 elections and will be the swing factor either way in the 2016 elections.
so you have faith that this batch of students will not blindly just
read the Straight Times?
people to answer? thanks.
Zanzibar
Why I agree with you is this is because I converse with many of them are like this, but unfortunately I found them to be lacking in fluency and not eloquent. d this included of many civil servants even up very high ranking in their minstry and this included of many MPs and ministers after having listened to them on TV news and interviews and radio 938.
TheInquirer
2013-12-07 16:44:26 UTC
Post by Zanzibar
Why I agree with you is this is because I converse with many of them are like this, but unfortunately I found them to be lacking in fluency and not eloquent. d this included of many civil servants even up very high ranking in their minstry and this included of many MPs and ministers after having listened to them on TV news and interviews and radio 938.
do you agree that they should learn to ASK MORE QUESTIONS
instead of memorising for tests and exams? yes?
people to answer? thanks.
Zanzibar
2013-12-08 00:03:44 UTC
Post by TheInquirer
Post by Zanzibar
Why I agree with you is this is because I converse with many of them are like this, but unfortunately I found them to be lacking in fluency and not eloquent. d this included of many civil servants even up very high ranking in their minstry and this included of many MPs and ministers after having listened to them on TV news and interviews and radio 938.
do you agree that they should learn to ASK MORE QUESTIONS
instead of memorising for tests and exams? yes?
--
Just answer the damn question, not the questioner! Don't
presume. My personal matters/beliefs are none of your
business. I ask, you answer. If you think I am stupid,
you have already proven that you are stupid, not me. If
you don't know the answer, can you please "pass" to other
people to answer? thanks.
The problem is not about asking more question which is not relevant, but about the ability to speak and converse the snetnece of thought in a flowing out way, continually in one sentence, in a logical manner and order.

It is also about the ability to speak out in a articulating way that is flowing out from the mind directly without having any stirring, stuttering, interrruptive ways of thougths that also peppered with Singlish words.

It is about the orderly way in a fluent, and eloquent processed way that processed in one thought of expression, and in expressing them in one line in a continuously form from the beginning of the thought that flows out from the mind from the start to the end.

It is about that people when listening of it can understand the words and meanings of your expressions and the gist of the story behind it from the complete convervation that was made.
Zanzibar
2013-12-08 00:10:21 UTC
Post by TheInquirer
Post by Zanzibar
Why I agree with you is this is because I converse with many of them are like this, but unfortunately I found them to be lacking in fluency and not eloquent. d this included of many civil servants even up very high ranking in their minstry and this included of many MPs and ministers after having listened to them on TV news and interviews and radio 938.
do you agree that they should learn to ASK MORE QUESTIONS
instead of memorising for tests and exams? yes?
--
Just answer the damn question, not the questioner! Don't
presume. My personal matters/beliefs are none of your
business. I ask, you answer. If you think I am stupid,
you have already proven that you are stupid, not me. If
you don't know the answer, can you please "pass" to other
people to answer? thanks.
The problem is not about asking more question which is not relevant, but about the ability to speak and converse the sentence of thought in a flowing out way, continually in one sentence, in a logical manner and order.

It is also about the ability to speak out in a articulating way that is flowing out from the mind directly without having any stirring, stuttering, interrruptive ways of thougths. It should not be peppered with Singlish words or other forms of slangs and linguals.

It is about speaking in the orderly way, in a fluent and eloquent processed way that processed in one thought of expression, and expressing them in one line in a continuously form from the beginning of the thought that flows out from the mind from the start to the end.

It is about that people when listening of it can understand the words and meanings of your expressions and the gist of the story behind it from the complete conversation that was made.
TheInquirer
2013-12-08 01:07:00 UTC
Post by Zanzibar
The problem is not about asking more question which is not relevant,
do you mean you mean
1. "asking more question which is not relevant" (asking of questions is
not the problem)
2. "asking more question that is not relevant" (when you ask irrelevent
questions, that is a problem)
?

[ i don't mean to be grammar police, but in this case, the word "that"
versus "which" makes a huge difference. I guess even the Singaporean
"English" teachers may not know this themselves, much less their students ]

the rest: agreed.

Pelandok
people to answer? thanks.
Pelandok