Chinese Rule the (40th Anniversary) 2009 International Physics Olympiad
RichAsianKid
2009-08-23 06:18:47 UTC
RichAsianKid recently posted the results of the (50th Anniversary) 2009
International Math Olympiad (IMO) here:

http://tinyurl.com/m6hfvo

China is the ONLY nation out of 104 where all 6 out of 6 participants
were awarded *gold* medals (cutoff: top 1/12 of all contestants).

And the only 2 contestants out of 565 who had perfect marks and who
scored at the 100th% percentile hail from North East Asia:

(a) Makoto Soejima of Japan
(b) Dongyi Wei of China

Now we turn our attention to the International Physics Olympiad (IPhO).
This is their 40th anniversary, and was held in Mérida, Mexico from the
11th July 2009 to the 19th July 2009. Normally students who do well in
math tend to ace physics, but due to the overlap of dates with the IMO
very few if any managed to participate in both events. In other words,
we're sampling a different talent pool here.

Participating countries will send up to 5 students (contestants) to the
IPhO. Gold Medals are awarded to 8% of the contestants; gold or silver
medals are awarded to 25% of the contestants; gold, silver or bronze
medals are awarded to 50% of the contestants; and Olympic Medals or
Honorable Mentions are awarded to 67% of the contestants. That is, the
overall criteria very closely parallels that of the IMO (with exception
of the HM category.)

70 countries participated, with 315 contestants in total (not every
country sent 5 contestants). Unlike the IMO however, the International
Physics Olympiad does not explicitly rank countries. Individual results
are as follows:

http://ipho2009.smf.mx/marks

Top 5 out of 315 contestants:

1. China's Handuo Shi
2. Taiwan's Yu-An Chen
3. Korea's Donggun Kim
4. China's Qian Lin
5. China's Jin Lei

The pattern is once again so eerily familiar with the IMO: all the top
dogs hail from North East Asia.

In fact, the China team once again has a perfect 5/5 record on the gold
medal list. Casual inspection shows no other country achieving this
perfect gold medal record.
Rainbow 虹
2009-08-23 08:38:20 UTC
I am very sure CNN will NOT be interested to report this news in USA
or World news section. CNN always think little of East Asia, they only
report news to the world and US about ugly news about Asia.
perfect gold medal record.
P. Rajah
2009-08-23 19:36:12 UTC
Post by Rainbow 虹
I am very sure CNN will NOT be interested to report this news in USA
or World news section. CNN always think little of East Asia, they only
report news to the world and US about ugly news about Asia.
Meaningless. The results show Kazakhstan, for example, as being ahead of
India, Singapore, Israel and Switzerland, among others, and Turkey being
ahead of Germany, Taiwan and the UK. This is not an indication of
national prowess.
baldeagle
2009-08-23 23:28:16 UTC
On Aug 24, 3:36 am, "P. Rajah" <***@newsguy.com> wrote:
- > Meaningless. The results show Kazakhstan, for example,
- > as being ahead ofIndia, Singapore, Israel and Switzerland,
- > among others, ...

Meaningless ?.

Maths is a test on a crucial aspect of human intelligence...
our ability to think in the abstract,.. to compute..to think in a
logical manner...

If a nation has done well consistently over the years, then
it is evident that its people are smarter than those who
did poorly.
It is no fluke that Asians consistently are among the top
5% students in the Ivy league universities.
P. Rajah
2009-08-24 02:50:53 UTC
Post by baldeagle
- > Meaningless. The results show Kazakhstan, for example,
- > as being ahead ofIndia, Singapore, Israel and Switzerland,
- > among others, ...
Meaningless ?.
Maths is a test on a crucial aspect of human intelligence...
our ability to think in the abstract,.. to compute..to think in a
logical manner...
If a nation has done well consistently over the years, then
it is evident that its people are smarter than those who
did poorly.
It is no fluke that Asians consistently are among the top
5% students in the Ivy league universities.
New immigrant groups have always done better than 3rd or 4th generation
citizens.

So, Kazakhs are much smarter than Israelis, you say?
baldeagle
2009-08-24 05:21:42 UTC
Post by P. Rajah
Post by baldeagle
- > Meaningless. The results show Kazakhstan, for example,
- >  as being ahead ofIndia, Singapore, Israel and Switzerland,
- >  among others, ...
Meaningless ?.
Maths is a  test on a crucial aspect of human intelligence...
our ability to think in the abstract,.. to compute..to think in a
logical manner...
If a nation has done well consistently over the years, then
it is evident that its people are smarter than those who
did poorly.
It is no fluke that Asians consistently are among the top
5% students in the Ivy league universities.
New immigrant groups have always done better than 3rd or 4th generation
citizens.
So, Kazakhs are much smarter than Israelis, you say?
I say....reality is against what your said.

Those Chinese students and Korean students who
consistently topped the competition...are NOT
immigrants.
Those Asian students in the Ivy league universities
who scored, consistently, in the top 5%...are not
immigrants.

The Koreans, the Chinese are smarter than the
Americans ..they are good at logic, maths and science.
This is a fact...as proven by the Maths and Science
competition.

As for Kazakhs...many of them originally came
from China. It is not surprising that they scored
better than the Jews.
Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF
2009-08-24 08:14:25 UTC
Post by baldeagle
Post by P. Rajah
Post by baldeagle
[...]
Is that right? So why couldn't gooks solve Fermat's Last theorem?
Why can't gooks solve the Riemann Hypothesis?

What proofs have gooks presented in the past 100 years to major mathematical
problems?

How many Nobel prizes have gooks won?

Seems that gooks are only good at rote learning. They certainly don't know
anything else.
Post by baldeagle
As for Kazakhs...many of them originally came
from China. It is not surprising that they scored
better than the Jews.
How many Nobel prizes have Kazaks won? And how many have Jews one?

Seems to me that gooks are incredibly stupid.
--

- KRudd at his finest.

"The Labour Party is corrupt beyond redemption!"
- Labour hasbeen Mark Latham in a moment of honest clarity.

"This is the recession we had to have!"
- Paul Keating explaining why he gave Australia another Labour recession.

"Silly old bugger!"
- Well known ACTU pisspot and sometime Labour prime minister Bob Hawke
responding to a pensioner who dared ask for more.

"By 1990, no child will live in poverty"
- Bob Hawke again, desperate to win another election.

"A billion trees ..."
- Borke, pissed as a newt again.

"Well may we say 'God save the Queen' because nothing will save the governor
general!"
- Egotistical shithead and pompous fuckwit E.G. Whitlam whining about his
appointee for Governor General John Kerr.

"SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU DUMB CUNT!"
- FlangesBum on learning the truth about Labour's economic capabilities.

"We'll just change it all when we get in."
- Garrett the carrott
baldeagle
2009-08-24 12:52:55 UTC
On Aug 24, 4:14 pm, "Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF"

- >How many Nobel prizes have gooks won?

Ha ha ha ha ..... Who award the Nobel prizes ?!

Check who got nobel peace prize...US dogs like
Dalai Lama and Suu Kyi.... All for bias political reason...

Is the Nobel prize an unbias award ?
Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF
2009-08-24 13:05:54 UTC
On Aug 24, 4:14 pm, "Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF"
- >How many Nobel prizes have gooks won?
Ha ha ha ha ..... Who award the Nobel prizes ?!
Not gooks. They're too stupid.
Check who got nobel peace prize...US dogs like
Dalai Lama and Suu Kyi.... All for bias political reason...
Is the Nobel prize an unbias award ?
Just because you gooks can't win any.
--
http://youtu.be/_ipvdBnU8F8

- Garrett the carrott
baldeagle
2009-08-24 13:10:46 UTC
On Aug 24, 9:05 pm, "Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF" <""sirjohnhoward
Post by Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF
On Aug 24, 4:14 pm, "Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF"
- >How many Nobel prizes have gooks won?
Ha ha ha ha ..... Who award the Nobel prizes ?!
Not gooks. They're too stupid.
Check who got nobel peace prize...US dogs like
Dalai Lama and Suu Kyi.... All for bias political reason...
Is the Nobel prize an unbias award ?
Just because you gooks can't win any.
Need I say more...moron
Ha ha ha ha
Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF
2009-08-24 13:15:35 UTC
On Aug 24, 9:05 pm, "Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF" <""sirjohnhoward
Post by Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF
On Aug 24, 4:14 pm, "Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF"
- >How many Nobel prizes have gooks won?
Ha ha ha ha ..... Who award the Nobel prizes ?!
Not gooks. They're too stupid.
Check who got nobel peace prize...US dogs like
Dalai Lama and Suu Kyi.... All for bias political reason...
Is the Nobel prize an unbias award ?
Just because you gooks can't win any.
Need I say more...moron
Yes, I agree, you are a moron. But keep trying. Just because you're a stupid
gook, doesn't mean you not good for something. Maybe one day you'll discover
what that is. In the mean time, the tandas awaits your cleaning skills.

- Garrett the carrott
baldeagle
2009-08-24 13:21:42 UTC
On Aug 24, 9:15 pm, "Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF"

Moron....ha ha ha ha
Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF
2009-08-24 15:36:22 UTC
Post by baldeagle
Moron....ha ha ha ha
Yes, we know you are. No need to keep reminding us.

- Garrett the carrott
baldeagle
2009-08-25 00:18:02 UTC
On Aug 24, 11:36 pm, "Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF"

Ha ha ha ha ha ha
A true blue moron
He is oblivious that he is a MORON.
A moron who gave himself moronic titles
"Dr." " Sir", ...
A moron who say he is smart...he is
respected.....but his moronic nature let him down

Ha ha ha ha ha
harmony
2009-08-24 18:55:03 UTC
"baldeagle" <***@yahoo.com.sg> wrote in message news:ca915670-8f12-48a1-9af3-***@2g2000prl.googlegroups.com...
On Aug 24, 4:14 pm, "Dr. Sir John Howard, AC, WSCMoF"

- >How many Nobel prizes have gooks won?

Ha ha ha ha ..... Who award the Nobel prizes ?!

Check who got nobel peace prize...US dogs like
Dalai Lama and Suu Kyi.... All for bias political reason...

Is the Nobel prize an unbias award ?

-------------------------
no, you are right. once in while when they give a noble to india, it is
usally to society wreckers like some commie. imagine a commie getting a
nobel prize for economics. the indian govt honors the guy - who loves
limelight he does not deserve - just because he "won" a noble but has no
use for his economics.
P. Rajah
2009-08-24 21:09:29 UTC
Post by baldeagle
Post by P. Rajah
Post by baldeagle
[...]
In 1985, China ranked 32nd. Were the Chinese dumb in 1985? In 1987, when
the Romanians were in 1st place, were the Chinese not as smart as
Romanians(or to use the "population size dependent" argument, many times
less smart than Romanians)?
better than the Jews.
harmony
(b) Dongyi Wei of China
RichAsianKid
2009-08-25 05:52:23 UTC
Post by harmony
the chinese learn physics in chinese.
the hindus learn physics in english. electrons don't like that.
One'd have thought it's much easier to learn physics in English. You
even hear (a few years back) some starry-eyed journalists gushing about
just how successful India will be because of English facility (which is
certainly true to a certain extent esp wrt certain jobs). But many
African countries speak English and French too and look at where they
are; by contrast Korea and Japan are some of the least English-literate
countries in the world. Language only goes so far, and previously I've
posted on how Tom Friedman let it slip:

http://tinyurl.com/29kfeb

"...in terms of hard-core business processes, so much of this is about
writing code and things of that nature, that I believe at the end of the
day business will go to where the brains are and not where the language
is. You will meet companies today in the United States who have already
skipped over India and gone right to China for basically the next
generation of business process engineering.

"In working on my book, I interviewed Bill Gates, and he told me that
Microsoft opened its third research center in the world in Beijing in
1998. It used to just have a research center in Cambridge, England, nice
English-speaking place, and Redmond, Washington. He told me they opened
their research center in China by giving IQ tests to 2,000 Chinese
around the country, Ph.D.s and engineering students, recommended to
them, and out of those 2,000 they basically chose 20 to open the
research center in China.
:
:
"Now, what Bill Gates will also tell you is that today the China
Research Center is the leading research center in Microsoft. You know
what he'll also tell you, though? He'll tell you that Microsoft's best
game designers all come from Japan. I bet none of them speak English, or
very few. So, I don't think this is going to be about language. I think
the language advantage is going to quickly be arbitraged out. There'll
be more Chinese speakers on the Internet very, very soon."

* * * * *

(BTW as side comment: the IPhO [where Chinese/NE Asians also lead] and
the IMO are slightly different beasts; IPhO leads you by the hand in
some questions with lots of partial credits and is much more dependent
on 'crystallized' knowledge and knowing formulas, and with lots of
subsections in each question. The IMO by contrast is real hardcore
without any clues and either you can synthesize concepts and come up
with a solution or you can't. That is, the IMO is much less 'teachable'
and require more 'fluid' knowledge and ingenuity.)
(b) Dongyi Wei of China
harmony
2009-08-27 19:13:39 UTC
Post by RichAsianKid
Post by harmony
[...]
awesome. i agree the chinese are going to to run away with it all; if they
aren't already.
Post by RichAsianKid
(BTW as side comment: the IPhO [where Chinese/NE Asians also lead] and
the IMO are slightly different beasts; IPhO leads you by the hand in
some questions with lots of partial credits and is much more dependent
on 'crystallized' knowledge and knowing formulas, and with lots of
subsections in each question. The IMO by contrast is real hardcore
without any clues and either you can synthesize concepts and come up
with a solution or you can't. That is, the IMO is much less 'teachable'
and require more 'fluid' knowledge and ingenuity.)
the americans are very good at figuring things out that are not teachable,
don't you think?
they are the pioneers on so many fronts.
P. Rajah
2009-08-27 21:06:06 UTC
Post by harmony
Post by RichAsianKid
Post by harmony
[...]
Yes, and they are doing it without Sanskrit, and without vedas and the
caste system and all those things that you claim are essential for
progress. People like you are why the Chinese are doing better than Indians.

Now, VHP takes on family planning

ARSHAD AFZAL KHAN

Ayodhya, October 21 The Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) has decided to
launch a campaign against family planning. It will use a book to urge
Hindus to ensure that they produce at least four male children — “two
for the family and two for the Hindu cause”.
http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/now-vhp-takes-on-family-planning/376410/

No doubt India already suffers from the twin scourges of negative
population growth, and low male-to-female ratio!! Stupid VHP!
RichAsianKid
2009-08-28 12:29:51 UTC
Post by harmony
Post by RichAsianKid
Post by harmony
[...]
I wouldn't say "all" but certainly in 21st century cognitive capital
(IQ) as well as knowledge is going to have an increasing premium. Here's
another data point for your files.

Note Asia is "East Asia" in this context. Elsewhere there is data that
Indian students and children underachieve, not just in public schools,
but also in elite private schools, sometimes 2-3 years behind. Which
bespeaks of either poor teachers, poor eduational system, poor schools
or just plain poor cognitive capital; most likely a combination of all
of the above. All the "predictors" do not portend well for India - at
least not for the 'next generation'.

And BTW it's not just China we're talking about - think back a couple
decades ago re: Taiwan and South Korea which China is in some ways
trying to emulate. You just do not see a concurrent rise in other South
Asian countries like Sri Lanka or Nepal or Bangladesh either.
Post by harmony
Post by RichAsianKid
(BTW as side comment: the IPhO [where Chinese/NE Asians also lead] and
the IMO are slightly different beasts; IPhO leads you by the hand in
some questions with lots of partial credits and is much more dependent
on 'crystallized' knowledge and knowing formulas, and with lots of
subsections in each question. The IMO by contrast is real hardcore
without any clues and either you can synthesize concepts and come up
with a solution or you can't. That is, the IMO is much less 'teachable'
and require more 'fluid' knowledge and ingenuity.)
the americans are very good at figuring things out that are not teachable,
don't you think?
they are the pioneers on so many fronts.
True, and as American demography changes before our eyes, the character
of the nation likewise will. I foresee America becoming more like Mexico
and Brazil in the future - and to get a foretaste of the future you only
need to visit Los Angeles or Miami or inner city Chicago or parts of New
York today. But US certainly will not disappear overnight and will
continue to stagger on as a superpower for some time, and will likely
always be a great power. It will however bear a bigger and bigger burden
(just see what is happening now with healthcare reform and why people
are so opposed, or how the SAT gap cannot be closed which I posted
before etc.).

Still, once a tipping point is reached it's a point of no return.

Quote: "One moves swiftly and imperceptibly from a world in which
affirmative action can’t be ended because its beneficiaries are too weak
to a world in which it can’t be ended because its beneficiaries are too
strong." -- Reflections on the Revolution, Christopher Caldwell (2009)